Elder Hancock

Elder Hancock
September 16, 2012

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Email received 6/18/12


June 18,2012

Hi Mom, 

Well you guessed it.  This week has been really hard.  Our area is called Cantera.  My companion's name is Elder Sylvestre.  He is from Arizona.  He has been in the mission for almost 22 months.  My Spanish is coming, but its still not very good.  I can kind of do a contact but my companion has to step in.

The weather here is beautiful.  It never gets hotter than 80 and never colder than 50.  But it rains just about everyday from June to November.  It rained super hard yesterday.  We were eating with a member after church when it started to rain really hard.  They gave us an umbrella to use.  It was like a river flowing down the streets.  By the time we got back to our apartment we were soaked.  My suit got all wet, but its ok.  I had to put my boots and rain coat on.  I now understand why we need those things.  My hymn book and my new Spanish scriptures got soaked yesterday.  I was super sad about that.  I am going to find some scripture cases for them. 

Our entire area is on a hill.  Mexico City is HUGE!!!!!!!  There are so many houses.  They are all made out of concrete.  Coming here has really opened my eyes to the humble situations of these people.  We have one of the wealthiest missions in Mexico City but it is still really bad.  I  am still trying to get used to all of the things here. 

We have had a hard time this week because we had no investigators.  The missionaries that were here before us left us with no one.  But yeah it has been hard.  We found a family of five that came to church yesterday.  We think they are going to be baptized next week.  We are really hoping because they are an amazing family.  We are supposed to have a baptism a week, which is possible.  Coming here has made me realize how important baptism really is.  President Villareal wants quantity and quality. 

So there is an Elder here in this mission that I went to school with.  His name is Jake Christopherson.  We had a few classes together.  That's pretty cool. 

I lost my name tag last week.  It makes me really sad.  I had stickers that I put on it that made it more meaningful.  But they are going to send me another one and I am going to find Star Wars and Toy Story stickers to put on it again because they remind me of Eli and of Home. 

Two years seems like a really long time but I am just trying to get used to everything.  I am exhausted every time I go to bed.  I guess that's a good thing.  I know the Lord is with me.  It has been hard but I try to think of the positives. 

All of the mail goes through the Mission home.  We get Dear Elders every Monday.  I think Monday is the only time we get mail.  I think the pouch system takes like 3 weeks or something like that.  I am not exactly sure.  But we can't receive mail directly. 

I am trying to get a handle on things.  It still feels overwhelming.  The Lord is with me every step of the way.  It makes my heart hurt when people openly reject the Gospel.  We contacted a lady last night while we were tracting.  She told us that she was a member and had gone through the temple but has fallen away because of certain things and now wants nothing to do with the church.  It makes me so sad.  We compared this to I Am Legend when, at the end of the movie, Will Smith is yelling ¨"Stop!  I can save you!!!  Let me help you!!"   But they don't listen.  That is what happens with some people.  It is really sad.  But that makes us work even harder.  I know I am here for a reason.  I know the Lord is with me.  There are people who are struggling, pleading to find something to fill that empty whole inside of them.  I can feel the presence of Grandpa and the whisperings of the Holy Ghost when I am down. 

I love you all.  I will send pictures next week.

Elder Hancock
Helaman 5 12

No comments:

Post a Comment