Elder Hancock

Elder Hancock
September 16, 2012

Monday, March 24, 2014

Email received 03/17/14


My dearest mother,

Well this week was so great.  We have been working so hard…to exhaustion.  I am so grateful for this.  One amazing story that happened this week: Since I got here to this area there has been a young man like of 18 that has been assisting church with another member in the ward.  I didn't know that he was not a member.  No one else did either.  Until this member came up to us and asked us why we have not been visiting this young man, Marvin.  We went over to his house and talked with him.  We found out that he is not from Mexico.  He is from El Salvador.  He moved here when he was 16 after his older brother was shot while standing right next to him.  It was really hard to hear that.  Then he started to express his love for his Savior.  Never in my mission have I meet someone with such a strong testimony of the Savior.  Especially one that is not a member of the church.  It was truly touching.  Then we explained the Restoration.  The Spirit was so strong.  Never in my mission have I had a first lesson with an investigator be so strong.  The Spirit was there.  We felt it, strong and thick, like a blanket.  But then we invited him to baptism.  He sat there for a minute...and said no.  It surprised me, after he told us that he knew that the church is true, and that Joseph Smith is a prophet.  He is such an intelligent kid.  He knows so much about the church.  But he just wanted to sort his thoughts out.  So we left him Mosiah 18 to read.  (Basically: nothing stops us from being baptized.)  The next day was Saturday.  I felt that I needed to fast for him.  The next day he told us that he read the chapter.  He told us that there was nothing stopping him from being baptized.  He said he is going to be baptized this coming Sunday.  It was a pure answer to my fast.  It showed me truly the power of fasting and the power of the spirit.  It was such an amazing experience, and shows the tender mercies of the Lord. 

I am not stopping.  I must lift up my voice like the sound of a Trump.  I must bring as many people as I can to Christ before these last short two weeks end.  I will not fall to the temptations of Satan.  I am weak in the flesh.  But with the Lord, I am strong in spirit.  My love for my Father in Heaven has helped me not give in to the flesh.  I know my Savior lives.  He is there.  He guides my path, my thoughts, and my actions.  I love this gospel.  Never will I be removed from it.  And never will I fall from this rock that I am built upon.  The sky is blue, the church is true, and I'm a missionary. 
  
Always and forever,

Elder Hancock
Helaman 5:12
Mosiah 18
Alma 29:6

No comments:

Post a Comment