Elder Hancock

Elder Hancock
September 16, 2012

Friday, May 4, 2012

Email received May 3, 2012

I have a really cool story.  I have been having a real hard time with the language and I thought I was getting better but it really was just that one day.   So, we taught an investigator yesterday,  (practice) and the investigator was our teacher.  Anyway we had a lesson planned out for the plan of salvation.  That lesson is such a hard lesson especially in another language.  I was supposed to start the lesson, but when I started I had like a rush of emotion over me.  I had so many things I wanted to tell her but I couldn't.  I had everything written down that I wanted to say and I was just going to read it off the paper, but for some reason I couldn't. So we all sat there for like two minutes without saying anything.  And two minutes with someone staring at you is FOREVER long.   After that my companion took over.
.
After the lesson my companion and I were walking out and he asked me if everything was OK,  and right then I realized what had happened. When we got back to the class room,  I talked to my teacher about what had happened.  I told her that I had just had my prayers answered.  I had been praying so hard that I would be a good missionary and that I would be able to learn the language.  I said, "How can I be a good missionary if I am reading something off of a paper and treating a person as if they were a brick wall?"  I told her , "I can't do that.  I have to look them in the eyes as I tell them that they can live with their families forever.  I have to look at them, because for me the eyes say everything.  And reading off of a paper just doesn't cut it for me.  And at that moment I loved that investigator.  I loved her.  Even though it was just my teacher, for that moment I realized what I need to do to be the missionary we all strive to be."
.
As I told her that, I had tears streaming down my face because I realized there were things in my life that were placed there for me.  I realized I had the Spirit with me in that lesson.  I had prayed to know what to say and when it didn't come, I was confused.  But after, I realized that my tongue was held for a good reason.  I walked out of that room last night a changed missionary.
.
I haven't even met any of the people I will teach but I already love them.  I already need them to hear my testimony.  I can't wait to look them in the eyes and tell them there is hope.  To tell them through all of the darkness and sadness this life brings that they have a Father in Heaven that loves them and truly cares for them individually.  That if they strive to follow Christ that they will be able to live with their families forever.
.
Last night was amazing for me.  Even though I have been here for three and a half weeks I already have grown so much.  I can't believe all of the things that have happened to me the last three weeks.  I feel like a different person.
.
Family, I need you all to know that none of this is possible without our Heavenly Father.  He knows me.  He knows my needs.  I know without a doubt that he hears my prayers.  Build upon the rock which is Christ.  "...if men build they cannot fall."  I know without a doubt that if you build upon the rock of our Redeemer you will not fall.
.
I love the watch and the bag.  They are perfect.  Thank you for all of the treats and goodies.  I love you all.  Please write me.  I love hearing from all of you.  You make me so happy to know that I have the support of my family.
.
Elder Michael Boyd Hancock

1 comment:

  1. Michael, it is amazing to me that I can feel your spirit so strongly though the emails and letters you write. Thank you for being so open with your struggles and triumphs. You are already being a missionary as your experiences help strengthen my testimony. I love you.

    ReplyDelete