Elder Hancock

Elder Hancock
September 16, 2012

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Letter received 05-21-12

Dear family,

This week has gone by so fast!  I can't believe that I am already in my sixth week here in the MTC.  My time here has really been outstanding!  I love it here.

One elder in my district has been here for 12 weeks.  He hurt something in his knee and had to get surgery on it while here in the MTC.  He had to watch his district leave a few weeks ago.  But he finally gets to leave tomorrow.  I am so excited for him, but we are all really sad to see him go because he is an awesome elder.  He will be a Great Missionary.

This week for me has been a little tough.  I am struggling with the language a little bit, but that's OK.  I know the Lord will bless me with the gift of tongues.  I can't wait to get into the field, but I know I am not yet ready.  I still have a lot to work on.  But, I have the motivation to work hard and to study hard.

We had a funny experience a few nights ago.  We were sitting in class.  Just before the end of class, about 9:15pm or so, we were all really tired and ready to go to bed.  All of a sudden, the fire alarms went off.  We had no idea what was going on.  So, we go out into the parking lot for 10-15 minutes before they let us back into the building.  When we entered the building, we smelled burned popcorn.  Apparently, a sister had burned her popcorn which set off the fire alarm in our building.  Since the entire MTC is linked by a shared alarm system, ALL of the MTC alarms went off and ALL the buildings were evacuated.  It was really funny, but the alarms were LOUD.

So, last night, I was on the 4th floor of my residence greeting all of the new elders in my zone, when I heard someone say, "Elder Hancock."  I turned around and saw Jordon Greenburg standing behind me.  We sleep in the same building and I didn't even know!  So that is awesome.  I get to see him a lot now.

All in all, my week hasn't been very eventful.  How are you guys doing?  Everything going OK?  I know the Lord has blessed each and every one of you in some way, with me being here.  I know that if I rely on the Lord, He will bless me.  A few days ago I was pretty down.  I prayed so hard that the Lord would help me learn the language and help me be a good missionary.  When I finished, I opened my scriptures randomly to Alma 36:3.  My favorite part says, "...for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."  When I got done, I knew Heavenly Father answered my prayer, right then, at that moment.  I have to have faith.  Miracles come after the trial of our faith.  I know that if we rely on the Lord and have faith, that He will help us.  It is that clear.  But, we have to do something about it or it is just a wish.  Faith - action - revelation - miracle - blessing.  Trust in the Lord.  "It is upon the Rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation... a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I love all of you so much.  I know you are with me.  Never forget.

Always and forever,
Elder Hancock
Helaman 5:12

P.S.  Here is my SD card so you can see some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Shelly! So many great memories from the MTC. Can't wait until Joe is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome to share great things. I can't wait until Joe is there, either! Your entire family will be blessed beyond anything of which you can conceive. Get ready for the harvest, Jeff.

      Delete