Elder Hancock

Elder Hancock
September 16, 2012

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Email received 04/15/13


Hey family!!

Well this has been a really hard week for me.  Elder Ballesteros was special Changed last week.  We don't really know why.  the Assistants called us Monday night and told him he was going to Ciudad Hidalgo Michoacan.  Super weird.  He is from Morelia Michoacan which is like one hour from Ciudad Hidalgo.  But I got a knew companion Tuesday.  His name is Elder Mendoza.  He is from Ciudad Juarez up north and has 16 months in the mission.  But it has been really tough adjusting.  Really tiring and really frustrating at times.  We had an earthquake a few days ago.  It wasn't big at all.  We could feel it just a bit.  But if you were in any big building you could really feel it.

This past week I have been thinking a lot about patience.  How important it really is in our lives.  The longer I thought about it the more I realized how I don't have it.  How much I need to ask for help.  In James 1:5 it says that if we lack wisdom, we ask God to help us with that.  But not just wisdom but anything we need it will be given.  If there is something we lack in our lives we must ask our loving Heavenly Father to help us.  If we ask in faith and not doubting we will be blessed with that thing.  At times it is really difficult to live with the things that we felt.  But that is why we ask.    But we must not focus on the things that we felt.  But the things that we have.  Just like what Elder Holland said that we cannot focus on the faith that we do not have but the faith we do have.

We met with a family that just had their grandmother pass away last week.  Only the two daughters are members and the son and the mother are not.  Their mother cannot hear or talk.  The daughter that we were talking with told us why she joined the church.  She said that she had been going to church at the time for a year before her mom let her get baptized.  She said that when the missionaries were talking with her she wasn't sure about baptism.  They asked her if she had prayed to know it was true.  She said no.  They invited her to pray.  She said that she did it but nothing happened she said.  She told the missionaries that and they told her to pray again.  But more fervently with more of a desire and a longing to know.  She told us that that other time that she had prayed she got the sweet assurance of the truthfulness of the gospel. 

This story really might sound kind of normal but its true.  She had a desire to know.  The only way we will know for a surety is to pray.  To receive that witness that it is.  But we do not receive this answer on our time but on the time of our Father in Heaven.  But also the other thing very important is that we "receive no witness until the trial of our faith."  Every person member or investigator must come to this point.  We must ask in fervent prayer if this church is true.  It is the only way that we will know that it is true.  In this time that we live in it is hard.  But it is so much harder without this testimony.  The ONLY way to get through it is by having our foundations built upon Jesus Christ and his Gospel.  The world says otherwise but we must not listen. We must not forget who we are. Inside a world of darkness.  But always there will be this light.  Leading us through. We must know with our own testimonies that it is true.  It is true.  I love this gospel.  I love my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ.  I am so grateful for this chance that I have to spread and share this gospel.  I love you all so much.  Thank you for the love and support that you give me.

Always and Forever,

Elder Hancock
Helaman 5:12

Ps.  Mom don't send me a camera.  it wont get to me.  Don't worry about it.  If I have more problems I will tell you and you can send me money or something but don't send me anything worth value.  Lots of candy and love sounds great!!  Peanut butter and Jam.  DELISOUS.  Oh and I am going to talk to you on mothers day.  I want to use skype this time.  I love you.  Hey how was your birth day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment